Sunday, May 9, 2010

The army begins .....

My friend Jamala is currently taking a knitting course, which amazed me because it hadn't really occured to me that one could sign up for such a course. I mentioned that I also knit (mainly mittens) and that we should get together for drinks, cheesy movies and some knitting. And so we did.....

Of course this meant that I needed to find something to knit, and since it is not really mitten season, I decided that maybe it was time to branch out in to something else. When I opened my knitting bag, a two-needle sock pattern fell out and I decided that maybe it was time to take up sock knitting. Now I must say I'm not terribly inspired by knitting socks, especially since I don't really like wool socks - too itchy and bulky. But it was a nice exercise, and I was forced to learn a few new stitches. I made a concept sock (see below) .... it is oddly shaped because I didn't bother to follow the proper proportions, I just wanted to practice the hard parts.

Test Sock





But all this got me to thinking, maybe I should find something new to make. Somewhat inspired by my friend Catherine who has been posting pics of baby toys she has been making, I decided I should look at fun rather than functional things to make. And that's when I came up with ninja toys!!! Here's what I am now trying to make,



...but of course I'm too cheap to buy the pattern and too crazy to actually follow the pattern if I did breakdown and buy it, so I am creating my own ninja warrior designs. Stay tuned for upcoming results....

BTW - In case you were wondering, Jamala and I decided to watch "The Net".... lets just say, the internet has come a long way since 1994!

1 comment:

  1. I would also say Sandra Bullock has come a long way since 1994 ;)

    I also think you should make sock monkeys - just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete