Sunday, May 15, 2011

Beautifying Me

This weekend I had a bachelorette party to go to, and frankly not much else to do. So I invested myself wholly in the preparation of making me "hot" for the bachelorette party. And along the way I learnt a few things:

1. The power of the second hand store
Now I don't usually go in to the many, many chi-chi second hand stores along Newbury street, but Eric had recently informed me that my dresses were out of date and I was in search of something stylish to wear for the evening's bachelorette party. After failed attempts at all the typical cheap places, I decided to go into a second hand store - I figured, if I was looking for "unique" style, why not try somewhere that wasn't about mass marketed clothing. Of course, one of my typical worries with the more "unique" places is that they won't have my size, but I entered nonetheless. I was oddly successful. At the first place I went, I found a one-armed black dress for $55, and it hadn't even been worn before; it was the overflow stock from some boutique in Connecticut. Score. I then went down the street and was oddly drawn into yet another second hand store where I found yet another one armed black dress (although very different in concept), and soon found myself walking out of the store with my new BCBG dress and only a mere $68 poorer! I couldn't believe my luck. Now normally, I would start to worry that this might become a problem - but luckily, I don't normally have the patience to riffle through the stacks at the second hand stores, so I think I shall be safe .... well until I need a new dress. (And yes I appreciate the irony that Eric said I needed to update my wardrobe and I was most successful at the "used" items store)




2. The internet is helpful
It had never occured to me before that I could use the internet to learn how to do my hair and makeup. Historically, I had always just asked my hair dresser for a few tips and then spent hours practicing in front of the mirror until I figured it out. So of course with my new "updated" look, I wanted to have new "updated" hair as well, and I started thinking "People on the street seem to have cute hair, it's too bad there isn't a place where people can share how they do their hair and makeup with me." And then it occured to me. There is. It's called the internet. And so off to YouTube I went. And there I found a plethora of videos doing exactly just that. Of course, the only challenge was that apparently everyone on the internet wants to look like Taylor Swift, and I have no interest in looking like Taylor Swift. This guy had the best video by far! At a loss for hairdos, I did end up copying the Taylor Swift do, but I made sure to pull it a bit more severely against my head so that I didn't look like a bustling 20 year old country star.


All in all, my efforts were successful, and I had a good time at the bachelorette party. (And I would like you to keep me posted if you find a good hairdo video that isn't about Taylor Swift!)

No comments:

Post a Comment