Saturday, February 20, 2010

Marketing is funny that way

This week I will be galavanting across America to do some market research with physicians. I always love going to do market research - it's like CSI without the crime scenes and many more snacks. Basically, we spend all day behind a one-way mirror watching physicians answer various questions, all the while munching on the never-ending snacks that magically appear throughout the day. Usually I'm the moderator (i.e. I'm in the fishbowl conducting the interview with the physician), which helps me from indulging in too many snacks, but for this wave of research I'm only moderating on Tuesday; which means three full days of having to restrain myself in the backroom from the snack temptations. We'll see how that goes ... I'm anticipating ... poorly!

It's funny though seeing all the thought that gets put in to new products. We have a team of people traveling across the US to ask physicians what they think of a new logo, a new color scheme, a new magazine ad, etc. The physicians get paid scads of money for their time - and often roll their eyes at us when we ask for the upteenth time "what else does this remind you of". But what's even funnier is how much importance gets put into the comments of these somewhat disengaged physicians who have come to talk about our logos, messages, ads, etc. Major corporate decisions are made, and brands that will be around for the next 20 years will forever be labeled with this specific mark because some physician said it captured his attention. But I love it - I find it fascinating to see other people's minds work; it's amazing to see how many different opinions come from looking at the exact same thing.

For a little market research humour you have to checkout the Diamond Shreddies campaign - it's truly hillarious. Here are a couple good ones!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOuC5jjTZOI

My favorite part of this one is when he asks her to rate it on a scale of amoeba to kangaroo - this is especially funny if you've seen my recent discussion guide (which you most likely haven't since it is confidential!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBayzdlsMQQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi20ImJHsWQ&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment