Sunday, February 14, 2010

Postcard #1 Tahiti


This was the postcard that kicked off the postcard celebration - unfortunately, the postcard with the actual instructions to my dad didn't arrive until Postcard #4; so there was some mild confusion on the part of my father in the begining. I suppose that's what happens when you send out the instructions to everyone before actually mailing the initiation postcard. Although rather than place the blame on myself, I would prefer to blame the slowness of the US postal system. And although this postcard is from Tahiti, it was actually mailed from Winnipeg, so it travelled pretty quickly!

This card was from Marion and Richard Mantay - they go way back with my parents. Mom met Marion back in Sunday school, and they have been great friends ever since. Once they were each married and had kids, we even went on family vacations together (although not so extravagant as Tahiti). I remember many a summer at the campgrounds of Falcon Lake with the Mantays. Another especially vivid memory is of my dad trying to teach the Mantays how to make traditional Ukranian easter eggs. We brought our kit over to their house and spent painstaking hours applying the wax to the eggs. Dad's eggs always turned out to be the best. He had the steadiest hands and the most patience - which are the key ingredients to a good Ukranian egg (well that and the egg).

No comments:

Post a Comment