Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Genesis of the blog ....

Why have I started writing a blog, well, I would be hard pressed to say that it is because I don't write enough in my day. In fact, I write an obscene amount of emails every day. And when you begin to write that many emails, not out of pleasure but out of necessity, you begin to find short-cuts to facilitate your communication. My short-cut is:

"Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns."

I write this one line dozens of times a day. In fact, I will often find myself having written this line three or four times in the same email. I then have to go back and edit it - I take out the "please", or I substitute "questions" with "comments", or I flip it to say "If you have any questions, please let me know". I effectively entrench myself deeper in my shortcut, and I find myself unable to write anything else.

And so, I have started this blog to push my ability to write by focusing on the pleasure of writing rather than the necessity.... well, that and I wanted to create a fun little postcard tracker for my dad's 80th birthday. Unfortunately, I haven't been structured enough to come up with an actual focus for the blog, and unlike my husband, I'm okay with that - I'm sure I'll come up with a theme soon enough. Suggestions welcome!

7 comments:

  1. Yay! I'll be reading Care. I'm officially adding you to my blog bookmark folder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're on my blogroll! I can't wait to follow along :) Oh, and I'm sending my postcard later this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my boss says this all the time in emails, so, i googled "please let me know if you have any questions" and found you. the phrase drives me bonkers and find that extends this saying when their nothing he could do. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i apologize for the horrible grammar above. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So a supervisor at work made a suggestion to me.

    Instead of: "If you have any questions, please let us know."

    My supervisor insisted that this phrasing is more "grammatically correct":

    "Please let us know if you have any questions."

    Am I missing something, here?

    ReplyDelete