Monday, January 25, 2010

Plans thwarted ....for now.....

As any good consultant, I have approached my "80 postcards to Adolph" project with true dedication and some good thought put behind it.

I've set an objective.
I've mapped out a timeline.
I've engaged key stakeholders in the process.
I've enabled my team with tools (see fun tracker on your right).
I've motivated my team with my energy and commitment to the work.

Yes, I've laid out a perfect project plan that should undoubtedly execute without flaw!

HOWEVER ....

Like any typical client, my father has thwarted my perfectly sculpted project plan. Yes. You will note that the tracker has not yet moved since yesterday. Why, you might ask? Monday should have a boom of new mail, you say!? I was expecting my postcard to arrive by Monday, you spout! And, well, it is possible that your postcard has arrived; but of course I cannot provide you with an accurate project update today (bad consultant, I know!) - because you see - Dad never bothered to check the mail. [gasp!]

Yes, there was a sale on sheets today at the mall. And apparently a sheet-sale trumps mail-checking in the hierarchy of prioritized to-do items. Of course, as is typical with consultants, once again I have clearly not understood the prioritization of my client's needs, and thus have failed to adapt my plan accordingly. And so we must wait until tomorrow for the postcards to be received. [exasperated sigh]

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm currently writing an RFP response, and after having spent the day doing project management......this made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete