Sunday, January 31, 2010

A blog theme ....

My husband giggles his little maniacal laugh of victory as I sit starring at the computer saying ... "I need to find a theme for my blog." He is delighted with himself for warning me that I should not start writing a blog without a theme and is now relishing in my frustration as I try to find something to write about each day.

But I think I have an idea at last ... a word of the day blog. Yes, since the goal of this blog is to force me to write somewhat more creatively than my hum-drum work emails, I thought it might work if I formulate my blog in the same manner that creative writing exercises are formulated. The plan: I will use the word of the day dictionary to provide an input stimulus for the day's blog, and see where that takes me. Let's give it a week and see where we end up!

http://www.reference.com/wordoftheday

Today's word: penchant \PEN-chunt\, noun
Inclination; decided taste; a strong liking.
Origin: Penchant comes from the present participle of French pencher, "to incline, to bend," from (assumed) Late Latin pendicare, "to lean," from Latin pendere, "to weigh."

As I am sure will not surprise you, today I have a penchant for coffee - although today differs from most days, as today I have not had any coffee [audible gasp from the audience]. I've decided that the addiction was a bit too strong recently and that I should take a short hiatus from my regular java and switch to tea for a few weeks. The result has been a very subdued Carolyn - it feels a little like I'm swimming through my day. My husband of course keeps asking me what's wrong; this less perky version of his wife is odd to him. We'll see how long this experiment will last, as "The penchant is strong with this one."

No comments:

Post a Comment